Not an emergency?
24hr Emergency electrical services No callout charges
0800 7311 606
By Eloise Evans on 17/11/2016
If you are planning to grab some great deals on electricals this Black Friday, you might want to double check your items before the big day.
Which? found that 49% of electrical products cost less in the months before or after Black Friday. This year, Black Friday will be hitting our high streets and online stores on 25th November. However, some of those bargains might not be as good as they look.
Pete Moorey, Head of Campaigns at Which? said: “Shoppers might be surprised to learn that only half of Black Friday deals are actually cheapest on Black Friday. If you’re thinking about starting your Christmas shopping around Black Friday, do your research as some ‘deals’ may not be all they’re cracked up to be.”
Last year, only 51% of products were cheapest on the actual day. The consumer watchdog tracked prices of products for three months running up to Black Friday, and two months afterwards. The other 49% were either cheaper before or after the day.
They looked at 20 popular tech gadgets and home appliances on Amazon, AO, Argos, Currys and John Lewis, and found that some of these companies even went as far as using misleading labelling to make a price look even better. Offers by retailers AO and Currys appeared to inflate prices to make the ‘was’ and ‘now’ prices look better.
Lots of retailers will be joining in this Black Friday, including Amazon, Argos, Currys, Tesco, John Lewis, Boots, Sainsbury’s, Debenhams, eBay, House of Fraser, River Island, Topshop, ASOS, New Look, Very, M&S, Game, Maplin and The Body Shop.
A suggestion we recommend when shopping this Black Friday is to think about what you want to buy and look at the prices now. If the price you find today is cheaper than the price on Black Friday, wait until afterwards – it could be cheaper the week after. You can also shop at retailers with price promises, so that if the price goes down a week later you can get a refund.
Photo Source: Freepik